The Benefits of Running
Running is great for your heart! Running and even a slow pace has been shown to dramatically reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. The health benefits or running are vast and extensively researched. Besides improvements in overall mental health, running is a great contributor to improving lung health as well as increased joint strength and stability. Running aids in boosting metabolism, weight control and raising your levels of good cholesterol.
A Running Plan for New Runner-
- Find Your Pace and Breath- Most new runners start off running too fast and aren’t able to maintain their pace. If you’re gasping for air, slow down. If you feel like you could have a full-on conversation with someone, try going faster. Your pace will depend on factors like genetics, how fit you are, and the distance you’re going, so find what works for you.
- Listen to music- picking songs that are synchronous with your running pace or desired pace have been shown to influence running performance! A good playlist that pumps you up will help to motivate you as you get into running and beyond.
- Run in a group- Running in a group leads to faster paces than running independently. Running with others also helps you stick to a running plan.
- Run outside- being outdoors can elevate your mood and the beautiful scenery beats a treadmill any day! Incorporate fresh air into your training regiment!
Improve Your Running Technique with the Following Tips!
- Lift Weights- Adding weightlifting into your running regimen can improve range of motion and correct muscle imbalances that can be created from poor running form.
- Focus on Posture- Keep your spine straight, your head upright, and your shoulders relaxed
- Warm Up and Stretch- Making sure your body is properly prepared for your workout and that you are taking care of it will help to prevent injuries and improve your form.