Getting enough sleep is critical for your mind and body. For that reason, many people rely on white noise machines to help them get to sleep and stay there all night.
What are White Noise Machines?
White noise machines mimic a variety of common white noise sounds found in life and nature. Some produce static-like sounds that are rarely heard in real life but still cover underlying sounds. Most of the white noise is monotonous, which is just what your brain needs.
In offices, white noise machines are regularly used to make spaces more private. For instance, you might notice a white noise machine in the hallway outside an accountant’s office. The machine is positioned to cover what’s being said inside the office to protect sensitive data.
In the home, white noise machines can be an asset to both kids and adults. Have a baby who wakes easily? White noise can be the solution to getting your infant to sleep (and giving you a break!)
Regularly experience insomnia, especially in areas with high noise pollution? Use white noise to help you drift off.
The actual design of white noise devices, as well as their sizes and abilities, varies greatly. Accordingly, so do their prices. With that in mind, you can be sure that there is a white noise machine that will be appropriate for your use and budget.
Benefits of White Noise Machines
When you use an appropriate, reliable white noise machine, you can expect several benefits:
- You’ll fall asleep faster.
- You won’t be as distracted by sounds outside your sleeping area.
- You can learn to concentrate your focus on one sound.
- You can enjoy deeper sleep.
- Your children who are prone to waking will be able to sleep through the night.
- You can travel with your white noise machine so it’s always by your side.
Related Article: Best Sleep Aids
Key Factors to Keep in Mind When Shopping for a White Noise Machine
Ready to make your white noise machine purchase? Before you do, be sure to keep the following factors in mind.
White noise machines serve different purposes. A machine meant only for a baby might not work for you because of different sounds.
- Buy the white noise machine you’ll actually use. If you only want to hear the sounds of oceans, don’t buy a machine with too many other sounds.
- Want pink or brown noises (sonic noise variants)? Seek out a machine that offers those sounds.
- Pick a sound machine that’s the right size. Travel often? Choose a smaller version with robust attributes.
- Talk to your sleeping partner if you’re going to use a white noise machine. Ideally, you’ll want to purchase one that works for you both.
- Read online reviews to get an idea of the sound quality since you can’t necessarily hear before you buy.
Best White Noise Machine for Babies: PICTEK White Noise Machine
This durable little white noise machine not only delivers 24 different sounds but plays lullabies as well. It’s ideal for young infants, as well as older toddlers. Parents can find their own settings, too.
Get the best benefits for your baby thanks to PICTEK:
- A wide range of white noises to try, from vacuum cleaner and lightning to hair dryer and matrix.
- Settings allow for shut-off after 30- or 60-minutes, as well as continuous play.
- The PICTEK can be charged using a USB cable, ideal when outlets are unavailable.
Want a white noise device that’s sleek and portable? This option from the well-respected HoMedics company takes up very little space in your bag or luggage. Plus, it can run on battery for those times you’re away from an outlet.
Get all this and more with the HoMedics white noise machine:
- A choice between six different nature-based sounds.
- Embedded timer to play continuously or turn off after a period of time.
- Realistic sounds that loop seamlessly.
Best Sound Quality: Dreamegg Sound Machine
Worried your white noise sound machine won’t be able to drown out the sounds in your home, apartment, or hotel? Dreamegg’s adjustable volume helps mask most noises, even particularly loud ones. You can also register your super stylish Dreamegg online with the manufacturer for added protection.
Get the best sound for your sleep:
- The Dreamegg has a nice range when turned up, which reduces secondary noise levels.
- Six sound choices allow for sleeping individualization depending upon the person and situation.
- The sound machine was created with simplified, intuitive buttons for extreme ease of use. It also has an added USB port.
Are you not ready to invest too much money in a white noise machine? That’s okay. For less than $12, you can own this HoMedics version that’s battery-operated.
You can be sure to trust HoMedics sound machines as they are the official sound conditioning partner of The National Sleep Foundation.
What does being a frugal white noise machine buyer get you?
- Four sound options allow you to customize your sleep experience.
- It’s absolutely tiny (a little bigger than a deck of cards), so it can fit in most purses.
- The timer will shut off automatically with a little programming.
The Marpac Dohm version of the white noise device is about as easy as it gets. It focuses on one sound: rushing air. And users can adjust the volume to their perfect pitch.
Related Article: 5 Best Sleep Apps
What will you get from this white noise machine?
- A one-year warranty from the manufacturer, suitable for a machine just under $50.
- A machine that is small enough to go along with you, but can sit unobtrusively in your bedroom.
- Two-speed settings to customize the way the rushing air sounds.
Enjoy Better Sleep With White Noise
No need to spend another restless night lying awake and listening to the sounds of the TV next door or the sirens blocks away. Just turn on a white noise device and allow your mind to float off to dreamland.
You Might Like:
Hunter Bennett When it comes to maximizing athletic performance, we often find ourselves seeking out complex training methodologies and fancy new pieces of equipment to get an edge on the competition – and as a